lymphedema / edema is basically due to the network of the organs such as that of the lymph vessels, nodes as well as the ducts that produce and move the fluids that are outlying the tissues that are back to the bloodstream as these are what the body is equipped with.
Due to the inability of the lymph system for clearing the fluids, Lymphedema is a state of water/fluid retention in the body.
It is mainly on the feet, legs as well as arms where lymphedema usually occurs. They are a single cause of lymphedema along with the condition that is known as lymphatic hypoplasia where the lymphatic vessels are damaged.
Lymphangitis is the other condition of the lymph system that occurs when the bacteria get access to the lymphatic vessels.
It is also staph as lymphangitis is caused by strep bacteria that cause erysipelas. The affected area thereby becomes red hot.
As these progress lymphadenopathy or swelling of the lymph glands there even might be the presence of the red streaks within the skin.
This condition is generally considered as the genetic disease where surgical procedures are normally used to treat primary lymphedema which is a rare condition.
You would come across something that has significantly caused damage to the lymph vessels as well as the channels such as the radiation as well as the surgical treatments including the accidents as well as other traumas and this is the case when secondary lymphedema happens.
Methods to Treat EDEMA
It is generally called the decongestant therapy where the goal is in mobilizing the fluids as this is the first way of treating the secondary lymphedema.
You can make use of several different methods that include manual lymph drainage along with the compression bandages, edema shoes and many more.
It is quite essential for you to manage the symptoms in a manner that would be providing you a reasonable quality of life although there is no way in which lymphedema can be cured.
While you are dealing with lymphedema the most crucial of all the things is in educating oneself. The type of exercise regime to follow is something that needs to be understood.
You need to go ahead with yoga or a relation technique, for this, you need to take the advice from a doctor. The fear of the unknown is the most dreaded fact for a lymphedema patient.
You too really want to experiment with the few of the compression bandages, socks, and others if you are an active person who loves traveling.
You are sure to find out the ways for adapting and coping with lymphedema along with the rest of the things.
You also need to have the best understanding of that it helps in having the set of patience to learn from the beginning and this is the main thing that is involved here.
When Do You Have It?
You will surely come across the early warning signs along with that of measuring the limbs that you might want to know:
- You will get the tingling effect on your limbs
- A feeling of tightness on the skin
- A sleeve or the leg of the plant becomes tighter
- Swelling on the finger is noticed
- Bending becomes difficult such as that of the flexibility
- Alterations on your skin
How would you be able to reduce the risks?
The following are some of the tips that are going to help you immensely:
Skin Care – have the reduced risk of infection as you need to avoid the trauma and injury
- You need to moisturize properly and maintain cleanliness
- Take proper care while undergoing manicure and pedicure
- You need to treat the scratches and the cuts on an immediate basis
- Take proper protection from insect bites and sunburn
Activity and Lifestyle
- You need to start slow, make slower movements and also be aware of the way your limbs feel while you are exercising.
- You need to check on how to your limbs look, check for redness and swelling.
- Lifting: You need to be careful to lift heavy objects.
- You need to follow an ideal weight.
Need to Avoid Limb Constriction
- Purses: make sure of carrying them across the shoulders.
- Garments and jewelry: Make sure to choose the loose ones
- No blood pressure over the limbs
- You need to wear the prevention garments that are required for air travel
- You need to move often
- You need to wear compression garments while you are lifting weights and undergoing the other strenuous activities.
Extremes of Temperature
- You need to avoid hot tubs and saunas. You also need to limit yourself to no longer than 15 minutes if you do them yourself.
- Also, avoid extreme cold once you are an outdoor person.
For you to get started there are few simple tips:
Know Who Does This Situation Effects
This is not only the risk for diabetic patients, but this is a potential risk for the following categorized people as well:
- Men undergoing prostate surgery
- Patients undergoing lower abdominal surgery (ovarian, uterine, colon)
It has been noted for sure that there are certain conditions that are more severe than that of the others.
Lymphedema is the condition that you need to avoid for sure. Lymphedema is the condition you need to avoid and take proper precautions for the same too.
There are certain developments and surgical interventions too that is recommended for curing the condition. Check them out here:
- Lymphaticovenular Bypass: Through this surgery, the vessels in the affected area are redirected for avoiding the fluid build-up.
- Debulking: This is the system involving the affected area to open up and the engorged tissue removed. This technique is used pretty rarely as it causes the possible damage to the tissues.
Both of the systems require the patient to continue wearing the compression garments having the lymphatic massage although the methods are yet to be proven.
Dyna holds a degree in health and fitness, has worked as a health instructor for over a decade at some very prominent health related organization and basically a writer by heart.